Sunday, June 16, 2013

Tale of The Tailed Jay.

Never thought the two would be connected, the butterfly I see flying daily and that tree so commonly grown in our neighborhood. Both had fascinated me for some reason. Today I discovered their connection.

Want to listen to what the butterfly told me???.

Me: "Hey little fellow! Where have you  been??
        You fly so quickly, you are hardly seen.."

        "Wait for a while, share some smiles;
        tell me your stories and I will tell you mine.

Mr Tailed Jay: "I am in a hurry, I haven't found a mate.
                       She will agree only if I can take some salts on our date."

                      "I am looking for seepages and damp patches of sand,
                       so I can gather some salts for her before the others can".

Me: "Oh! Mr Jay, you work so hard.
        Your coat still shines with apple green spots;
         Don't you rest even for a while?
        I see you always in  motion as u gather nectar in style."
        "Doesn't Mrs jay help you find salts?
        You do all the work and she, none at all."

Mr Jay: "No no miss, she has so much to do,
              and so little time too.
             I admire the way she flies to every tree
             selecting the best host for our offsprings to be."
            "She is very smart and with her keen sense,
             she finds the right fresh leaves of the right tree in abundance."
            "Thanks to her, our hungry children can feed to their heart's content."

Me:  "Oh! Mr Jay, which is the tree she would be looking for?
         I will find them for you and plant them more.
         Please tell me Mr Jay, don't go away,
         we want pretty butterflies like you forever in our view."

Mr Jay: "I will tell you the name, but will you make a guess?
             I will give you the clues that will help you more or less."

Me: "Yes I agree to the riddle of the tree,
        come on quickly so you can fly free"

Mr Jay: "very common in your neighbor-hood
            they are like rockets shooting straight into the air.
             They grow tall and conical with their droopping branches that spread very rare."

           "Their lanceolate leaves look like feathers fine.
            With margins wavy and young leaves that shine,
            they are used as ornamental decoration in festive times."

           "Their fruits are a delight to the koel's sight
             a constant threat to our offsprings life."

Me: "well Mr Jay I have guessed it alright!
       You are talking about the Ashoka's might"

Mr Jay: "Yes miss, you are partly right,
              the False Ashoka tree it is, making a pleasant sight."

              "With this, let me leave now,
               I am getting late to meet my mate."

Me: "Bye bye Mr Jay,
       I would love to know more about your children and all that you have to say.

       Next time we meet. Don't be in a hurry,
        sit with me and tell a few stories."


http://butterflycircle.blogspot.in/2009/05/life-history-of-tailed-jay.html

No comments:

Post a Comment